Friday, March 11, 2016

The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson

OVERVIEW: Hayley Kincain hasn't had the most normal of lives. After her mother died, and her father was sent to fight in the war, Hayley was placed with her father's new girlfriend. Years later, Hayley and her dad settle down in her grandmother's house after spending years traveling the country in a semi. Hayley now has to go to regular school, while worrying about her dad's PTSD and bad habits.

MY THOUGHTS: This book was kind of confusing to me at first; Hayley couldn't remember anything of her childhood, and that wasn't explained. I wasn't sure if she had brain damage, or a traumatic incident that made her block out the past, so I was unsure of the instances when she was having flashbacks. I'm honestly still not positive on why Hayley blocked out her past. The story was otherwise easy to follow, and a fast paced read. The one thing I was very disappointed in was that there were a multitude of editing mistakes that hadn't been accounted for, such as the author leaving out the word 'other' when saying 'each other'. This didn't make the story harder to understand, but it was kind of annoying to me since there were more than five instances of this.

SPOILERS: I honestly have no idea how Hayley could have kept her dad's behaviors and addictions hidden for so long. It would make me mentally unstable. I was honestly scared for Hayley when her dad found her in the car almost kissing Finn. I was sure Finn would understand something was up and report it, but I understand that he didn't because he had problems of his own. The fact that Hayley wouldn't let anyone help her until the conclusion, though, really annoyed me. I felt like she should have been more willing for help. Overall, I liked this, but didn't love it.

I give this book an 80%.

No comments:

Post a Comment