Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

OVERVIEW: Aristotle is a loner, he calls himself a pseudo-only child because his siblings are all 10+ years older than him, and his brother is in prison. Ari has no clue about his brother, his family never mentions him; they don't even have any pictures of him on their walls. When Ari meets Dante, his life changes. Dante teaches Ari to swim and they become best friends.

MY THOUGHTS: I was really excited to read this book because 1. the cover is GORGEOUS and 2. it was really hyped up. But I did not enjoy this at all. The storyline was okay, but I felt that both Ari and Dante were very immature, which really annoyed me. I felt like their wasn't even any character growth in the book at all, Ari was still as immature at the end as he was at the beginning. And the writing style of this book was unappealing to me. The author uses mainly simple sentences, with ten words or less. I felt like that made it difficult for me to even connect with the characters or even get into the story.

SPOILERS: So when I say Ari was still immature at the end, I mean, he really didn't change. He just accepted the fact that he was in love with Dante. And the whole story was revolved around their relationship, but I honestly just wanted to know more about why the family never mentioned their brother. When it was revealed that Bernardo was in prison for killing someone, all I could think was, that wasn't even like a big bomb drop. It was very anti-climatic, as was the rest of the book for me. I went into this book knowing that it was about two boys in love with each other, but they didn't even acknowledge their love until the last chapter. I feel like that made it even harder to get into.

I honestly don't even know what grade I'd give this book; but I did give it one star on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment