Sunday, March 6, 2016

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

OVERVIEW: This book is about a boy with depression. This boy, Craig, checks himself into a hospital; the book chronicles Craig's stay in the hospital. This is pretty much all I think one needs to know before reading it.

MY THOUGHTS: I overall enjoyed this book. There were parts I, as a person diagnosed and treated with depression, really connected with. Although Craig and I are completely different people, with different morals, I really felt like I knew exactly how he felt because of my struggle with depression. There were certain scenes in the book that I felt were unrealistic, which I will describe in the spoilers. But, overall this was a good, quick read. Many reviews stated that the book was funny, and I don't know if this is because of my struggles with depression or something else, but I don't think it was very funny. There was a few characters I thought were funny, but I really thought that it was a serious book, with a serious topic and tone.

SPOILERS: I completely connected with Craig and his stress over getting into school, as I just went through applications for college and the stress of wanting to get perfect grades since I started college. I really give Craig props though, for being able to admit he has depression and get help, because it is HARD. As for what I thought was unrealistic, the part where Craig takes Nia to his room and KEEPS THE DOOR OPEN to make out with her. I have never been in a mental hospital, but I really think it would be difficult to bring a girl to your room.. Muqtada did make me laugh when he interrupted them though! Craig deserved it!! At the end, when it said that this story was inspired by Vizzini's five day stay at the hospital, I was really moved. It made me really sad to know that he had to go through all that, to get the idea for his book. It's a very serious topic, but Vizzini tackled it well and mostly realistically!

I give this book an 80%.

No comments:

Post a Comment